Friday, August 24, 2012

When The Sharks Are Just Below


(Jen McDonough is an amazing woman who not only overcame her fear but changed the direction of her life when she realized her own strengths.She is the author of LIVING BEYOND AWESOME...and knows she won't drown in water or debt anymore!)


So what does one do when they want something so badly, yet the task at hand seems IMPOSSIBLE?

I learned many lessons about perseverance in life but completing an Iron man event was one experience which taught me I could do something I thought was impossible by scaling my "mountain" in small steps.

The Iron man triathlon I would participate in included a 2.4 mile swim,112 mile bike ride and 26.2 mile run.For some it might have looked relatively simple, but I didn't even know how to swim. Truthfully,I had an enormous fear of the water. I have been told when I attempt to swim, I look like I am trying desperately not to drown! So, the first step included swimming lessons.
 The second step was to learn to use positive, confidence building inner and outer language, even on the days I struggled. You can't expect to succeed in anything when you are permitting yourself to be bombarded with negativism either from others or that little voice within you that shouts out failure every time you make a mistake. 

Next,I was determined to stick with every workout no matter how impossible the thought of swimming 2.4 miles was for me(up until race day, the farthest I had ever swam was 1.2 miles!).


Yet,whenever the race day did arrive, all my confidence went out the window as I stared out at the giant waves in the Gulf of Mexico. I started hyperventilating BEFORE the race even started! It did not look exhilarating;it looked terrifying.

Seconds before the race began,I started to shake my head "no" as I stared at the countdown clock,"Ten,nine,eight...". It was as if I was trying to stop time.The start gun went off and a massive tidal wave of bodies moved towards the water, but I didn't. 


There I was after training relentlessly for a year both mentally and physically frozen with panic unable to even get into the water.

As the last of more than two thousand swimmers shuffled past me in the soft sand, I willingly forced myself into the water.I had never been so scared in my life as I waded out over my head. My fears encompassed me as I wondered not just if I would be able to go the distance but if I really would not drown or worse, be eaten by sharks. 


I could barely breathe initially trying desperately not to panic as I moved stroke after stroke though the swells were large enough to hide the five foot buoys from my sight.I kept thinking of the sharks milling beneath me just waiting for dinner.With each motion forward I recalled the entire year of my life I trained for this moment. Yes, I was terrified but I also realized I had given so much time and energy to this,it would be unfortunate to let myself down.
When I sighted land, I went from "wanting" to do something extraordinary, to realizing I was"doing" something extraordinary and feelings of joy replaced my terror as I realized I was fulfilling my dream. My breathing and strokes no longer felt awkward and difficult but as natural as though I had been a swimmer all my life.

When I reached the final strokes on the swim, I couldn’t help but feel that God was smiling down at me, assisting me physically and emotionally in an experience I only once imagined I might do. More hurdles came my way, but I did finish Iron man, which was one of the most incredible experiences I have had!  


The impossible DID become possible that day because of faith, perseverance,developing a step by step action plan and finally putting my feet in the water and breaking through my fears to face my victory.

Any goal worth pursuing requires small tenacious steps and even with significant training and planning will seem initially terrifying or at least daunting when you first begin.Sometimes there will be additional obstacles and you might want to not try or turn back. DON'T!

Go for it, because I know sitting on the sidelines wishing you could do something causes far more pain than finally taking that plunge.Never live with the regret for not having tried. Regrets leave an ugly taste in your mouth forever.Going after even one seemingly impossible goal can make you stronger for every other mountain you face.

Does the thought of putting your feet in the water and taking a risk at something unfamiliar and scary make you anxious and fearful as well? 

Jen McDonough enjoys sharing stories of hope and inspiration through her books, speaking engagements, podcasts, and her blog (http://www.livebeyondawesome.com) and (http://www.fieldofdebt.com/blog/) Jen lives in Lindstrom, MN with her four awesome kids, two spirited dogs, one handsome husband, and her ugly mortgage. Connect with Jen through Twitter (@TheJenMcDonough), Facebook (Live Beyond Awesome), or on her website



Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely! For me it's exposure. Which is interesting considering some of what I'm called to write about.

    Jen,I'm watching you put your whole heart and soul into what you're doing and am so impressed with your effort! It's as though it never dawns on you that you could fall in any way that matters. You must have a great support system!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margie, Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I think our writing can sometimes be the door we are encouraged to walk through. Best of luck on surviving your sharks.

      Delete